Yesterday was a very good day indeed. I was able to sew most of the day!! Poor DH had hurt his back and spent most of the day lying flat with a heating pad. Sad for him, but good for me! He had already told me that I couldn’t massage hard enough, so I didn’t have to spend time rubbing his back. And while he wanted to lay flat all the time, he said he had to get up and stretch frequently, so he would wait on himself instead of calling for me. Now don’t get me wrong – I would do those things for him if needed, but since he didn’t need me to do them, I got to sew.

First I was able to complete all the corner units for the Bonnie Hunter quilt -all 156 of them!! The original pattern calls for 30 blocks, but I’ve decided to do 42 blocks. I have three blocks finished, so I need to finish 39 more. BTW – these are all sewn together correctly – it will be the next step with these units that will be tricky – setting them into the blocks!!

Then I made 156 of these units – that means sewing 312 triangles onto 156 rectangles!!! I need to repeat the same process with the triangles going in the opposite direction on 156 more rectangles. Then sew them all together to make 156 sub units for setting into the blocks!!

I deviated from Bonnie’s instructions on assembling those units. Her method was to take a 2″ square and mark a diagonal line from one corner to the other. Then lay that square on top of the rectangle and sew just a hair outside of the line to allow for the fold of the fabric. I tried that way and it was super tedious for me. Stopping to draw lines on 312 squares of fabric takes a lot of time!!!!

My method was this:
Stack the 2″ squares (I could cut about eight at a time.) Use my ruler to line up the diagonal corners with the 1/4″ mark – this will leave the seam allowance that I need. Whack off the excess fabric. Sew the squares onto the rectangles from corner to corner using the 1/4″ seam guide on my machine to line up with the seam allowance.

Hopefully, this picture gives you an idea of what I’m talking about. Bonnie said that using a 1/4″ pressure foot doesn’t work very well when “going cross country” (over fabric instead of along the edge) but I didn’t have any problem with it. Maybe my foot doesn’t press down hard on the 1/4″ edge. Whatever – it worked for me!

Finally, this journal page by Debbie in California says it all for me. Being able to work out of my home is great, but it still requires a lot of work. When I work at an office I can’t take a 10 minute sewing break. But at home, this is how I can still get quilts finished!! I’ve included a link to her blog:

http://travelingquilter.blogspot.com

Peace