Last week I shared with you that I had made a quilt for my friend with Black and Gold fabric strips. I didn’t tell you quite what a rush I was in to get it completed.

Here’s the deal – I come up with really great ideas sometimes, like making a quilt to comfort my friend. But I usually don’t get the idea until the last minute. I needed to have the quilt finished by Sunday, March 5, but I didn’t get the idea until Tuesday, February 28. So I didn’t even start until Wednesday, March 1. That gave me four days to get a quilt from start to finish. I decided on one of the fastest patterns to make – the Jelly Roll race. So all I had to do was cut 2 1/2″ strips and then sew them all together. I managed to get the main body of the quilt all together before my sewing machine starting making a terrible noise. I did everything that I could think of to fix the problem, but it was still clackety-clacking – so much that even DH said, “There is something wrong with that machine!” Oh the Horror!

This was on Thursday afternoon, so I called the local sewing machine repair man (not DH, although he should think about getting into that business!) Anyway, I was going to take it in on Friday, because he assured me that it would likely be a quick fix. But then we got some snow and ice Friday morning and I couldn’t get out to take it to him. Fortunately, I have a few other machines, so I made and attached the borders on Friday.

Saturday morning, bright and early, I loaded the clacking sewing machine and delivered it to the fix-it man. He told me he’d have it ready in just about an hour. I had a few little errands to run and he assured me that I would probably just get started and he’d call to say he was done.

Six hours later I was finally on my way home. Apparently there were a few more issues than he originally thought, one of which was a broken tension spring.

Okay, it is now 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, March 4 and the quilt still needs to be quilted, bound, labeled and ready to go by Sunday morning. Fortunately, DH stepped up and took care of fixing supper and cleaning up while I SEWED!!!

But there was one more small issue that I needed to deal with. I needed a backing for this quilt. I usually order extra wide backing fabric, so that I don’t have to piece the backings (I’m lazy that way) But, what with only thinking of this idea at the last minute, I hadn’t ordered a backing for this quilt. And with the machine issues, I hadn’t thought of or had the time to piece a backing.

But wait!! I did have a backing fabric that would work with this Black and Gold quilt . . . . it was the backing for the other Black and Gold quilt that I am making!!!

So I robbed Peter (the quilt for my cousin) to pay Paul (the quilt for my friend). And now I am going to have to figure out what to do to make it up to “Peter”

I was looking for a graphic that would work for “Robbing Peter to Pay Paul” What came up in abundance was pictures of antique quilts which is a pattern of the same name. This is not my quilt, it’s just a picture from the internet.

Peace